Here’s something that will be handy to know for winter… how to help your body get over that cough that won’t go away. Here is a recipe for a light soup that will help to break up the mucous in your lungs!
Light Vegetable Soup
- 3 litres water
- 3 shiitake mushrooms
- 3 pieces (about 5x5cm size each) kombu seaweed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1daikon radish or turnip, finely chopped
- ginger (about the size of your thumb), grated
- 2 pinches of salt
1. Stock Preparation: Put shiitake mushrooms and kombu seaweed into the water. Either soak overnight or boil for 30 minutes.
2. Add onion to the boiling stock. After a minute or so add the carrot and daikon / turnip. Keep the soup boiling on medium heat until the vegetables are two thirds cooked (just a few minutes!). Add the ginger and salt and boil for a further 2 minutes and then take it off the heat.
This light soup can be drunk hot or cold, and you can leave the veggies in or drain the liquid to drink (and use the veggies for something else). Drink about 2 or 3 glasses each day, and this should last about 3 to 4 days. Make more batches to drink if it’s right for your body. You could also add a few sticks of celery or another ingredient to change the flavour a little.
You might even have more of a cough as your body brings up the mucous from your lungs. But having a cough isn’t necessarily a bad thing. This is your body’s way of discharging. Respect your body and be sensitive to it. Seek advice from your health care provider if this pesky cough becomes something more serious.
Your’s in health, Kayu.